Trackbacks are very useful tools on Wordpress that foster bloggers’ communication between websites by helping you inform legacy blog systems that you have linked to them with automatic notifications. To put it simply, trackbacks are similar to the references and acknowledgements at the final pages of a chapter in a text book or an academic paper.
If that is still something difficult to understand, using trackbacks is almost like a person telling another “Hey! I found this thing you might be interested in”. For example:
– Someone wrote an interesting post on their blog. – You want to leave a comment on their post, but you also want the readers of your own blog to see that comment and also make comments on it. – You do that by writing a post on your blog then send a trackback to that blogger’s blog post. – That blogger will then receive your trackback, and decide whether to display it as a comment on their blog post or not. The comment will be displayed either as a title, excerpt, or a link to your blog post.
To send a Trackback on WordPress
- Step 1: Go to the post on the other person’s blog and look for the ‘Trackback URI’ or similar
- Step 2: Right-click the link and choose Copy Link Location
- Step 3: Paste that URL into the Trackbacks module on your blog
- Step 4: Publish your post
Step 1: Go to the other person’s blog post that you would like to send trackbacks from then find
First, go to the other person’s blog post that you would like to send trackbacks from then find
Trackback URI or similar.
Step 2: Copy the URL of the link
Next, you will need to copy the link’s URL.
- If you are on Firefox, copy the link’s URL by right-clicking on the link and choose the
Copy Link Locationoption.
- If you are on Internet Explorer, copy the link’s URL by right-clicking on the link and choose the
Step 3: Paste that URL into the Trackbacks module on your blog
Go back to your blog, access the editor, then scroll down to the
Trackbacks module and paste the copied URL into that box.
If you copy the URL from a WordPress blog, it will end with /trackback/.
Step 4: Publish your post
After all those steps, click the
Publish button and the trackback will be sent. However, note that after you send the trackback, the receiving site will decide whether to display it or not.
Above is a detailed, step-by-step instruction on How to send a Trackback on WordPress. Hope it helps you make the most out of your Wordpress.com resource.